Mindful Walking is a modality of the Japanese art of Shinrin Yoku or Forest Bathing, which is a way of being in the present moment with each new step. It allows us to remember how it feels to arrive at each moment, where we always belonged. Each of your steps as an expression of calm, joy, and resilience. By being present with nature we reconnect with a sense of peace and happiness which is what we are.
“Not knowing the name of the tree,
I stood in the flood of its sweet scent.”
Some of the benefits of Nature Therapy are:
- Improvement of weaken immunity.
- Increased relaxation of the body due to increased activity in the parasympathetic nervous system.
- Reduce stress of the body.
- Reduction in blood pressure after only 15 minutes of forest therapy.
- Reduce feelings of stress and general sense of wellbeing.
Meet at the pond in Morningside Park at 113th St. (please wear a mask and keep social distancing)
Mindful Walking is a collaboration between Friends of Morningside Park and Mindful Harlem.
Friends of Morningside Park is a volunteer organization founded in 1981 dedicated to the park’s revitalization including through collaborative programming such as this. Learn more at http://morningsidepark.org
Mindful Harlem is a non-profit community center founded in 2014 dedicated to bringing the practice of meditation to the Harlem community.